Epcos EG produces 8 standard sizes of ELP-configured ferrite cores made from power ferrites of advanced brands providing a possibility to produce transformers with operating frequency of up to 1 MHz (ferrite brand N49).
ELP ferrite cores are intended for a manufacture of small-size low profile transformers and chokes with windings made in the form of paths on multi-layer printed circuit board or (for high-capacity applications) in the form of insulated layers cut out of copper tape.
An advantage of transformer or choke whose construction is based on multi-layer printed windings based on ELP ferrite cores is:
- Significantly decreased size and weight of wrap-in product, low height as compared with similar traditional ferrite transformers.
- High reliability due to exclusion of manual work errors component on winding and assembling transformers.
- Low production cost with large-series production.
- Increased life time due to advanced heat sink and reliability of construction.
- Lesser value of parasite parameters and particularly of leakage inductance. During the operating at high frequencies losses in windings are considerable decreasing because of skin-effect and proximity effect.
- High repeatability of ferrite wrap-in products in series.
To obtain a possibility of additionally decrease a height of wrap-in product on printed windings, ELP cores are issued in version with closing I plate. More detailed information see in our catalog here (ru).
To produce single-ended converters with power storage, standard series of ELP cores with gap is issued.
Geometrical dimensions of ELP-configured Ш-shaped ferrite cores issued by EPCOS AG.
|Standard Size||A [mm]||B [mm]||C [mm]||D [mm]||E [mm]||F [mm]||h [mm]|
Examples of Constructing Printed Circuit Transformers
Version of transformer based on ELP cores and integrated into a printed circuit motherboard...
Version of transformer based on ELP cores and constructed in form of separate module.
Designation in Design Documentation
N87 ELP18/4/10 B66283-G-X187
B66283 — ELP product code 18/4/10
G — construction in form of ELP (P — in form of I-configured closing plate)
87 — material brand (N87)
N87 ELP 32/6/20 B66287U315A187
B66287 — ELP product code 132/6/20
U315 —core with gap and with Al=315 nH
A — precision class of gap for AL (±3%)
87 — material brand (N87)
To decrease losses on transportation and storage, it is recommended (as possible) to order cores in multiples of amounts contained in factory package. Information on number of cores in standard factory foam plastic package is given in here (ru).